Saturday, March 20, 2010

my baby is not really my baby...

for the past week i have been exercising my dog every day since i picked up this book to read -


i started watching Cesar's Dog whisperer show since season 1. my best friend lent it to me and i watch a few episodes here and there when i babysit.(i dont have cable but seems like every other person does)
back then i tried using some of the techniques he teaches on the show.. like being calm and assertive.. not letting jaijai(my dog's name, its Cantonese for son/baby boy) jump on people or walk infront of me when we go out.. he used to constantly pull and pull and pull and i'd get bruises on my hand

but i just wasnt doing it right coz it didnt change TOO much of his behabiour.. until i started reading this book.. and realized its JUST LIKE HE SAYS ON THE SHOW!! you just have to WALK WALK WALK in the right way.
and that its the energy.. you see, that, i can understand .. coz that's more like my language..

so our lives are forever different. i know i know. sounds dramatic. but it really has been a big change for us. he's content. you know?

Content

–adjective

1.
satisfied with what one is or has; not wanting more or anything else.

He is no longer frustrated or over-excited.coz now he has the exercise hes been needing. sometimes he comes home way way tired and i feel like thats probably too much for him.. but he's so so so happy.
not in a tongue-out-huff-and-puff or tail-wagging type of happy. but just so mellow.
and he sleeps like a log at night now!! no more waking up in the middle of the night, strolling around the backyard.

im so so happy with our progress and how much we've achieved in just a few days. i know that consistency is key and i'll have to walk him twice EVERY DAY.
but i know i can do it. coz seeing him like this means so so much to me. although i cant treat him like a baby anymore.. but to me.. in my heart.. he will always be my baby.

i know many people dont agree with the way Cesar does things, and some even say its animal cruelty. but if you really saw the differences in the dogs, you might change your mind.
in my opinion, human beings are selfish. we LIKE to humanize things. EVERYTHING. but especially our dogs. they're not humans. they're definitely not your children. but we treat them like that because it makes US feel better. not them. think about it, do you really know what a dog needs? Is it REALLY treats and toys and affection day in and day out?

its not healthy to spoil your dog like its not healthy to spoil your children.
sure, you might get their love and affection in return.and you might be their best friends, but are you doing what's best for the people/animals you love?

sometimes love is just not enough. there is also responsibility. compassion. understanding. discipline. YES discipline. i didnt say punishment. thats VERY different. i mean discipline. like the thing that gets us out of bed to go to school/work every day. the thing that keeps us on time, dressed, showered.
its the very thing that stops us eating cheesecakes all day every day.( although i would like that very much)
thats what it is. we ALL need it.

the best thing we can do for our animal friends is to give them exactly that. in Cesar's words - in this order - exercise-discipline-affection.
it's simple. in my opinion one of the most important thing in the world -

BALANCE.
well i think so anyways..=)

Thank You Cesar Millan.

Thank You JaiJai for being in my life, being here for a reason, teaching me about life + about myself, saving me without intending to, having all the patience in the world, trusting and living in the moment.



I Love You.

2 comments:

  1. Too cute! Really, it's just so adorable that you & your doggy have really GROWN in this way together XD! i heard his show really was amazing. Didn't realize he wrote too. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny - Thank you!! I am so proud of the both of us and am so grateful
    for him! And yeah Cesar is really awesome, I love this book so much I'm gona buy his other ones. =)

    ReplyDelete